Between 1626 and 1760, at least 78 surveyors
were active in the colony to define the boundaries of seigniories
(see box) and land plots within them. Most of this work was
performed in compliance with the orders issued by the different
colony administrators. At the time, no organization was responsible
for overseeing this work.
Part of the documents relating to these surveying
activities can be found in the surveying archives of the Bureau
de l'arpenteur général, at the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du
Québec, or at the National Archives of Canada, in Ottawa.